Sunday, June 7, 2009

Week 1 Blog Entry

Wouldn't you know it - my computer was down the entire week - it happened right after the thunderstorm that we had in the middle of the night. I woke up the next morning trying to get on and was able to connect to the internet - I am still not able to connect but thank God for "other arrangements". What a week! Anyhow, needless to say - here goes!

I have to say that the first two chapters that I read in The Non-Designer's Web Book were very enjoyable. The readings were easy and the visuals made it easier to understand the technical information that was presented. Cool book. Cool writing. The other chapters were not as amusing but the information was not hard to follow at all.

What did I learn about graphic design and how does graphic design play a role in or daily lives and activities in both the print and web? Before I read information about print vs. web I would have said that the web was the "better' option when put up against print. However, from reading the artilces, I learned that one is not better than the other - they are just different from one another. Good point. I know that graphic design plays a big part in everybody's daily life because everywhere u go that's what you see - advertisements, commercials, flyers, web pages - we are in the information age and it is all around us. The world is moving fast, everything is about convenience, so it makes sense that designers have to be very clear, concise and smart when it comes to designing information on a page. So, it is very important to be able to not only to construct eye catching and legible information, but it's also important to be able to read and understand this info.


What is your understanding of designing of the web vs. designing for print. I learned that they both have their challenges, advantages and disadvantages. As I said, before I read these articles I would have given print a thumbs down and the web a thumbs up. However, it's clearer to me that print has advantages that the web does not - ex: being portable and being cost effective. According to the book, there are still two billion published works that are still not available on the web but available in print. WOWzers. This comes as a surprise to me especially when I think about the research that I had to do when I was young - memories of spending time in the school library with the card catalogue make me cringe. I'm not surprised that there is info out there that is not on the web - the fact that there is so much really blows my mind. Kinda cool though.

I also learned that one of the challenges of the web is trying to make sure that information will be legible regardless of individual resolution or screen size, brightness and contrast. Color can also change when viewed on the web as opposed to when printed out. There are alot of things that go into graphic design - not just simply making your finished product look pretty.

In regards to print ads - as I looked through ads for the homework I realized that there were ads that had both good and bad elements of CRAP, so to my suprise, it was a little more difficult to make the decision on whether the ad was good or bad. Surprise surprise. Nothing is ever cut and dry!

Looking forward to Monday night's class! Cool stuff.







1 comment:

  1. I had the same problem with the ads, since they were published, you would think they should be good? Thats crazy bout your computer! See you in a bit.

    ReplyDelete